Generate man pages before dist (WAS Re: [sup] Release 0.20.0)
Per Andersson
2014-10-07 09:56:08 UTC
Hi!
Hi suppers!
\o/
$ gem install sup
We've got man pages (Mr. Andersson)!
Is it possible to generate the man pages upon release and commit them
to, say, docs/man.

That would make the Debian packaging much simpler, otherwise I have
to do that myself manually and put them in the debian directory. (It will
probably be easy to miss shipping updated man page in the Debian
package.)

Debian packages should be buildable without network access, so using
the git submodule at build time will not work.

--
Per
Gaute Hope
2014-10-07 10:03:46 UTC
Post by Per Andersson
Hi!
Hi suppers!
\o/
$ gem install sup
We've got man pages (Mr. Andersson)!
Is it possible to generate the man pages upon release and commit them
to, say, docs/man.
That would make the Debian packaging much simpler, otherwise I have
to do that myself manually and put them in the debian directory. (It will
probably be easy to miss shipping updated man page in the Debian
package.)
Debian packages should be buildable without network access, so using
the git submodule at build time will not work.
The man files should be included in the man/ directory in the gem. You
can check out the contents of the built gem by unpacking it manually:

$ tar xf sup-0.20.0.gem
$ tar xf data.tar.gz

so all necessary files for a release should be included. I would suggest
starting the source build off the .gem with the pre-generated man pages.

Does that work for you?

Cheers, Gaute
Per Andersson
2014-10-07 10:47:02 UTC
(...)
Post by Gaute Hope
Post by Per Andersson
We've got man pages (Mr. Andersson)!
Is it possible to generate the man pages upon release and commit them
to, say, docs/man.
That would make the Debian packaging much simpler, otherwise I have
to do that myself manually and put them in the debian directory. (It will
probably be easy to miss shipping updated man page in the Debian
package.)
Debian packages should be buildable without network access, so using
the git submodule at build time will not work.
The man files should be included in the man/ directory in the gem. You
$ tar xf sup-0.20.0.gem
$ tar xf data.tar.gz
so all necessary files for a release should be included. I would suggest
starting the source build off the .gem with the pre-generated man pages.
Does that work for you?
Ah, clever. I like to use the actual upstream source myself though.

I'll just build and ship them in the Debian package.

--
Per