[sup] [sup-talk] selectively viewing multiple accounts
Ari Brown
2015-01-24 20:01:07 UTC
I have multiple accounts on my system (postmaster, sysadmin, and
personal). Is there an easy way to selectively view mail from the
accounts one at a time?

My plan B is to add labels to everything and then view accordingly, but
I wanted to check to see if there was a plan A, first.

Thanks,
Ari
Troy Sankey
2015-01-25 00:19:23 UTC
Post by Ari Brown
I have multiple accounts on my system (postmaster, sysadmin, and
personal). Is there an easy way to selectively view mail from the
accounts one at a time?
My plan B is to add labels to everything and then view accordingly, but
I wanted to check to see if there was a plan A, first.
Your plan B is good, that's what I do. Sup can auto-label messages
based on source (configurable in sources.yaml) but if your mail is
already indexed then you have to either (1) manually label them, or (2)
delete and re-sync the index.

If you choose #1, be extra careful with your query. Sometimes it's
difficult to determine which account a message is associated with. E.g.
your email address may not appear in any of the To: or Cc: headers, so a
simple "To:***@email.com Cc:***@email.com" query would not reliably
return all messages sent to that account.

Good luck,
Troy
Matthieu Rakotojaona
2015-01-25 09:04:47 UTC
Post by Ari Brown
I have multiple accounts on my system (postmaster, sysadmin, and
personal). Is there an easy way to selectively view mail from the
accounts one at a time?
My plan B is to add labels to everything and then view accordingly, but
I wanted to check to see if there was a plan A, first.
Thanks,
Ari
Hello,

Sup's data is all contained in a single directory that defaults to
~/.sup. You can select the location of this directory with the SUP_BASE
env variable, so you could do something like:

SUP_BASE="$XDG_DATA_HOME/sup/postmaster" sup
SUP_BASE="$XDG_DATA_HOME/sup/sysadmin" sup
SUP_BASE="$XDG_DATA_HOME/sup/personal" sup

You must indicate a full path. Please note that you must specify the
SUP_BASE variable for each command, ie also for sup-add, sup-config, ...

I haven't tested it thoroughly (I just skimmed the source code and
tested with an empty dir), but would love to hear your findings if you
tried it.
--
Matthieu Rakotojaona