[sup] clicking links
s***@mixbook.com
2014-09-15 17:52:56 UTC
Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup, and
have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?
C. R. Oldham
2014-09-15 17:56:04 UTC
Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup, and have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?

On Mac OS X in iTerm2, Command-click will open the link you click on in the default browser.

I'm guessing they borrowed that feature from one of the Linux terminal emulators.

--cro
Gaute Hope
2014-09-15 18:45:26 UTC
It depends on your terminal, check out what options there are for it.
rxvt-unicode for example has some matching patterns and a browser
setting somewhere.

Other than that @rakoo has a PR that isn´t merged yet where you can
goto urls with a key binding (#241,
https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/pull/241)
Ruthard Baudach
2014-09-15 19:10:33 UTC
Post by s***@mixbook.com
Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup, and
have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?
This feature was discussed a long time ago, and decided to be to
difficult to implement from within sup, especially as most terminals
implement such a feature, so there should be no need to double implement
it.

So the answer as to the recommended way to click on a link would be:

"use the right terminal"

Would be an idea to address this topic in the wiki, as I do not know
which terminals implement clicking on links, and how they have to
be configured to activate links.

I am using stumpwm and xterm, and copy–and–paste it into the browser.
Well, ehm, it does work, actually...

Greetings, Ruthard
Scott Bonds
2014-09-15 19:34:58 UTC
d100.net; s 130820;
h=x-gm-message-state:date:from:to:cc:subject:message-id:references
:mime-version:in-reply-to:user-agent:x-original-sender
:x-original-authentication-results:precedence:mailing-list:list-id
:list-post:list-help:list-archive:sender:list-subscribe
:list-unsubscribe:content-type:content-disposition
:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=CxkQQ869um1nxY1iBHR5oLMgkYaMgax1sAXPcvNP8IU=;
b=NR6/rM5/RLCvwb4sWBMs8wGzdQaBnhz8inVL5OPWfkdYc+KWLUQfHiV+2UN/XM0ozz
lujEfWgNb3toyLoaeXrMJc+79eK1zSllj21mDUAzIJEeYFPgqw4zr10JTskMIOVqrojw
xuFzgBqhXx3xPeUGsB9NkIKI3iELlJD2j4Ca3cd4R364anJY3O0QEQ1n6mzO4G/Yu7sf
4Q6bajhA/trPyyiOPeM1Zk/wCd6su9JXnNm2nYYBUTQgYSUy/rTcXS3P1jxquTSsbVgn
gvjBy933OfcX6MKMZUwlGAm0yr6wJKlNiWm7InTnAYNU2p7afU

Gaute Hope
Per Andersson
2014-09-15 21:41:12 UTC
Post by Ruthard Baudach
Post by s***@mixbook.com
Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup, and
have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?
This feature was discussed a long time ago, and decided to be to
difficult to implement from within sup, especially as most terminals
implement such a feature, so there should be no need to double implement
it.
Opening from the terminal with a keybinding would be nice. I definitely think
this is in scope for Sup.
Post by Ruthard Baudach
"use the right terminal"
Would be an idea to address this topic in the wiki, as I do not know
which terminals implement clicking on links, and how they have to
be configured to activate links.
I am using stumpwm and xterm, and copy–and–paste it into the browser.
Well, ehm, it does work, actually...
I am using rxvt-unicode-256color and have configured it with

URxvt.perl-xt-common: default,matcher
URxvt.urlLauncher: iceweasel
URxvt.matcher.button: 3
URxvt.matcher.pattern: \\bwww\\.[\\w-]\\.[\\w./?&@#-][\\w/-]

the above configuration, in $HOME/.Xdefaults or $HOME/.Xresources,
makes links (the matched pattern) in the terminal underlined and open
in iceweasel on right click with the mouse.

I'll add this to the wiki.

--
Per

PS. I use XMonad.
Tero Tilus
2014-09-16 21:17:18 UTC
Post by s***@mixbook.com
Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup,
and have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?
I go around this by using publish hook to save the contents of html
attachment/part to public url, show the url in sup as message and then
ctrl-click that url to open the html message.

Hook looks like this
https://gist.github.com/terotil/b4688f7529df21ac82e1
--
Tero Tilus ## 050 3635 235 ## http://tero.tilus.net/
Gaute Hope
2014-09-17 07:26:41 UTC
Post by Tero Tilus
Post by s***@mixbook.com
Is there a recommended way to click on links within an email in Sup,
and have them launch in the default browser, e.g. Firefox?
I go around this by using publish hook to save the contents of html
attachment/part to public url, show the url in sup as message and then
ctrl-click that url to open the html message.
Hook looks like this
https://gist.github.com/terotil/b4688f7529df21ac82e1
Hi Tero,

I belive this works for 'viewing / reading html parts', how do you use
your terminal to detect and open the link?

I've put your solution (with a link to this thread) for viewing
attachments in the wiki [0], I think the old discussion can be found
here [1]. My quick insertion of links in the wiki could probably benefit
from being separated out in a separate sub-section.

Note that if you are using Sup on your local machine and you don't have
a decoding hook, you should be able to press Enter on the HTML
attachment and have it open in the default application for you desktop.

There used to be an empty 'Webbrowser integration' wiki-page, but I
think we got it covered now with 'Clicking links' [2] and 'Reading html
mails' [0] using your solution.

Cheers, Gaute

[0] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Viewing-Attachments#viewing-attachments
[1] http://supmua.org/community/sup-devel/msg00530.html
[2] https://github.com/sup-heliotrope/sup/wiki/Clicking-On-Links
Tero Tilus
2014-09-17 11:04:49 UTC
Post by Gaute Hope
I belive this works for 'viewing / reading html parts', how do you
use your terminal to detect and open the link?
My usual terminals (Gnome terminal, LXTerminal) detect links and
support ctrl-click out of the box. Haven't really paid any attention
to that part.
Post by Gaute Hope
Note that if you are using Sup on your local machine and you don't
have a decoding hook, you should be able to press Enter on the HTML
attachment and have it open in the default application for you
desktop.
I'm aware of that. Since I'm running sup on remote VPS this is not an
option. Locally it is of course way more convenient to rely on
default mailcap behavior.
--
Tero Tilus ## 050 3635 235 ## http://tero.tilus.net/